NOTE: The editable calendar file has been fixed. You can download it here.
When I was a little girl, I loved Christmas time! I couldn’t wait for all our special family traditions!
We would decorate the tree with hand-made ornaments, perform the First Christmas Story as a family on Christmas Eve, design and make gingerbread houses and handmade chocolates, and sing The Holy City in honor of a beloved ancestor. And that was just the beginning!
As I considered what to create for the LDS Church’s #LIGHTtheWORLD Christmas campaign, a memory of a long-ago Christmas came to mind.
My mom, a single mother of six with few resources, helped us kids handcraft a much-needed gift for a needy family we didn’t know. I was chosen to leave the large package on their doorstep and run. When I thought about how this family would be blessed by our gift, I felt so wonderful inside! My mom always looks for ways to serve anonymously, a value she learned from her parents, my beloved grandparents. Today, our family continues this tradition of quiet service.
Learn more about this kit by watching this video:
And so, I created this kit around the message of Sister Linda K. Burton’s talk, First Observe, Then Serve with a focus on anonymous service, though you can use it for any type of service.
This 28-page kit is packed with everything you need to plan and implement anonymous service this Christmas Season.
- Activity Plan/Poster: Teach a lesson on service.
- Service Charades Game: Generate ideas in a fun way.
- Planning Sheet: Organize service plans.
- Maze Page/Coloring Page: Help children plan service.
- Editable PDF Calendar: Customize the Church’s service calendar for your needs.
- 8×10 Ornament Posters: Give or display in your home.
- Pass Along Ornaments: Share the #LIGHTtheWORLD message (printed on the back) with service recipients.
Here are some ways you could use the pass-along ornaments:
- Ask the cashier in a drive-thru lane to pass along an ornament when you pay for the next customer’s food.
- Tie one to a gift basket you deliver anonymously.
- Place one on a sibling’s pillow after secretly making their bed.
- Leave one behind after unloading the dishwasher for a busy parent.
- Put pass-along ornaments and treats on car windshields in a parking lot.
It’s an honor to work on something so close to my heart. This campaign focuses on Christ and encourages us to minister as He did. What better way to celebrate His birth? I hope my kit provides an uplifting framework for individuals, families, classes, quorums, and groups to #LIGHTtheWORLD!
This kit is for noncommercial personal or Church only.
You will need to UNZIP the download before you can access the files.
Please send your friends here (or to the other blogs sharing this kit) to download their own copies of my kit.
Don’t share the electronic files.
You CAN print, copy and share printed files.
Thanks so much for participating in #LIGHTtheWORLD and don’t forget to share using #LIGHTtheWORLD!
Watch for eight more #LIGHTtheWORLD kits from some amazing designers in the coming days here on my blog, and on these amazing sites (plus many more):
These kits will be debuting at different times on those and many other blogs (and here) in the next few weeks, so keep checking back to see them all.